Online Military Records...
War of 1812
Spanish American War
World War I
World War II
More Genealogy Records
Online Civil War Indexes, Records & Rosters
A Genealogy Guide
General Civil War Records Websites
- 1890 Civil War Veterans & Widows Census Schedules mostly Union (requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscription) includes online digitized census images from National Archives Microfilm Publication M123 - available for the District of Columbia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming
- Civil War Records and Documents Online at Fold3 (copies of digitized documents can be downloaded for a fee) includes...
- Civil War Pension Records Index for Union Soldiers (from National Archives Microfilm Publication T289)
- Civil War Widows Pensions (not complete)
- Confederate Soldier Service Records for Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina (not yet complete), Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Confederate Officers
- Union Soldier Service Records for Alabama, Arkansas, Dakota Territory, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Colored Troops
- Confederate Amnesty Papers (M1003)
- Southern Claims Commission (M1407) - Records of Southerners who claimed compensation from the U.S. government in the 1870s for items used by the Union Army
- Confederate Citizens File (M346) - Papers relating to citizens or business firms, 1861-65
- 1860 U.S. Federal Census Index and Census Images (M653)
- Lincoln Assassination Papers (M599) and more
- United States Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards, 1907-1933 at FamilySearch (not yet complete). From National Archives (NARA) microfilm publication M850. This database has indexed images of cards used by the Bureau of Pensions and Veterans Administration to record the payment of pensions to veterans, or their widows or other dependents. Includes some (but not all) Union veterans.
- Civil War Records at Ancestry (these are included with an Ancestry subscription)...
- Compiled Service Records Online from Fold3 (formerly Footnote) scanned documents...
- Tennessee Civil
War Records Indexes includes
- Tennessee Confederate Civil War Pension Applications - Soldiers & Widows
- Tennessee Confederate Physicians
- Tennessee Confederate Soldiers' Home Applications
- Tennessee Civil War Veterans' Questionnaires
- Tennessee Southern Claims Commission Index 1871-1873 - lists 3,929 Tennesseans who claimed their property had been taken by United States military personnel for use in the Civil War
- Tennessee Civil War Confederate Pension Applications Index (requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscription)
Ordering Pension Records
- Virginia Memory - Military Service Collection includes...
- Confederate Disability Applications and Receipts
- Confederate Pension Rolls, Veterans and Widows
- Robert E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldiers' Home Applications for Admission